12 out of 10

Just copied from a forum post…..

Took my 12′ x 30″ open canoe for a spin for the first time with a sail today. The design of the rig has been inspired by the West Mersea Duck Punt (yes Dylan Winter I know I should have built one, and wish I had, but for moment I have to potter with what I have)
The two aspects I have taken from the duck punt are that the mast is free to swivel 360° and the steering paddle. I tried to lie down more but the yoke got in the way and I have used a pivoting lee board.
It was a very successful day and didn’t have any involuntary swimming to do, the boat was well mannered and able to sail on all points with ease. I have a longer video showing the close hauled work and paddle assisted tacking but I am having difficulty transferring it.
I tried, in shallow water, righting him using a paddle bag. This did not go well, the closest I got to workable solution was to rig the paddle and float and bail until only about 3 inches of water on the bottom. It was still very wobbly when I got back in and paddled. Side buoyancy bags are required. That said I don’t think I got close to a capsize when sailing through constant mainsheet trimming.
I built the rig for light air pottering on a local river and very pleased it meets that brief.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123546776@N07/

https://tinkboats.wordpress.com/

 

Advertisements

Not quite to plan

As the saying season draws to a close I a chance to sail the canoe on Saturday and so have rushed to get him sailable. I quickly rigged the mast and sail etc. I very quickly realised the lug of the sail has stretched much more than I anticipated and had to move cleats about and even then it is far from ideal but it will get me sailing. Oh the plus point the sail looks good, possibly a bit flat and the feathering works very well. I am disappointed in angle of the kicking strap and having had to drill extra holes in the mast but it is all fixable.

img_2957img_2961img_2962

Get’n there

Some good progress made, some painting done, lee board wear plate made and fitted, mast foot fitted, mast thwart attachment fitted. All a bit rough and ready but still cost nothing and not compromising the canoe as a canoe only too much.

Have cut out the sail from the old IC sail and reinforced on corner.

img_2924img_2925img_2927img_2928img_2929img_2942