Pjoa

There is quite a Polish Proa (Pjoa) scene and this is just pure beauty, weight steering and all

Advertisements

Peapod and Pooduck

Couple of designs I have been working on. The first a skin on frame pea pod. Liked the design but the frames would not nest onto one sheet of ply and the skin material is not readily available in the UK. Clearly this just half the design.

From that I ended up working on the boat thar could be made of three or four sheets of plywood. Flo-mo (http://flo-mo.weebly.com) has managed to nest Joel White’s Pooduck skiff onto three sheets. I worked on a lot of designs and added buoyancy to get a four sheet boat.

Test sail report

This is from the sail at Scaling Dam but thought I should review it and say what done.

Positives

✔️ floats behaved impeccably, simply provided the extra security I wanted

✔️ sailed upwind with good manners, with the board straight up and down he tracked upwind fine with the steering oar (paddle) out of the water (worked best with oar to leeward). Occasionally it would head up and a quick dip of the oar would correct it.

✔️ tacking was easy, if unusual, pull the board so it went angled forward, canoe would go head to wind, quick single stroke of the oar took the bow through the wind, return board to vertical. I do have rudder that could be fitted easily but considering the narrow river where I want to sail I think I will keep the oar.

✔️ assembled quickly and easily.

Negatives

✖️ one of the floats tried to toe in when pressed, this only happened on one side but I think it was a combination of the float pivot being too flexible (joint made with tiewraps and tape) and too far forward. I added fore and aft brace lines and this cured this. ACTION – see previous post struts added

✖️ mainsheet traveler prevented the boom being pulled in enough

did not like to go off wind, this was better when I heeled to lee ward. ACTION – new iceboat style mainsheet

Picture from a few days ago out on Ullswater (photo credit Andy Young)

Iki Wa’a developments

33C31E73-118D-4F41-B30B-FC01820DBD43966C5D4C-A04B-4235-8BE4-9E61718B44E2C2954AE6-F5BB-4BFE-8DCD-B5068E066ECE7EC75E5A-2CB8-4008-A208-0EC3B2524FC0I am finally able to get on with some development work on Iki Wa’a

The concept is to not to permanently add much to my 12’ x 30” canoe to keep the purity of the paddling canoe. What I am working on is a proof of concept model. I have some good ply to make a ‘proper job’ of the design including outriggers when I am happy with the design.

Next week my daughter is at the Optimist Nationals in north Wales and while she is sailing I will develop the concept. They go out for a good 4 or 5 hours so lots of sailing time for me in a lovely bay.

Here are a few pictures of prep work I did today. The mainsheet now runs ice boat style leading from the mast, thick read rope. Also the halyard is cleated on the board partner and can be raised and lowered from the helming.
Completed the outriggers, yes very Heath Robinson but will get remade in ply once happy with the buoyancy. Added side and aft struts to stop and toe in of the floats. Still very quick to assemble.

 

 

Longtime no post

Snow on the ground but the Streaker has had her winter referb and back at the club hoping for a sail on Sunday

Iki Wa’a now has outriggers added just as quick test, now the boatshed is clear I will continue the development

Comfi Bum

IMG_3993IMG_4115IMG_4116IMG_4117IMG_4118IMG_3990Mainly been posting in face book because it is simple but feel a numpty posting about the seat there. What has happened recently, canoe wise removed the rig, I could sail it fine but one day it was going to go over and become very messy.

Have simplified it and been getting out as much as I can. Finally made a proper trolley which works great. Have been focusing on consort of the seat as I have been getting some back bottom pain along with leg cramps.

Have used web data to make a lumbar support, simply Velcros onto the proprietary seat and works well. Have just made a new cushion with holes to relieve the pressure on the ischial tuberosities and coccyx. Sat on a chair on foil to get the exact position right, pictures tell the story after that. Not yet tested but seams comfortable.

 

 

 

Frustrating wind

On the plus side the wind according to the data was spot on. The truth was very different, up but mainly down and all over the place, at least we got out. Tested righting the canoe with the water container as buoyancy.

IMG_4476IMG_4475